Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday Recs

Sasha and I are flitting off this weekend to scope a town where we are considering buying a house. Will likely not be around much, between exploring and writing, but as ever, beloveds, text or tweet if you need me.

In the meantime, have some recs I've been sitting on for a while. I miss reading and reccing, need to find a way I can resume it regularly again /sigh

A lesbian retelling of Hansel & Gretel, which immediately captured my interest. Fairytales will forever remain my favorite thing. I liked the way this was done, the relationship between Hansel & Gretel (in that it deviated from the standard). I also enjoyed the writing style, the author captured the fairytale vibe beautifully. And the ending makes it. Definitely give it a try if you like fairytales, femslash, (or even if you don't, if you're feeling adventurous).


I think this is one of the best sci-fi books I've read period. If you are a sucker for world-building, this book is gold. I've never seen such effort put into mixing a human with an honest to god alien race. Language problems, cultural problems, drastically different body type problems. This book is excellent. I actually skipped it at first because I have been disappointed so many times in the past. But someone I trust gave it high marks, I picked it up, and I am sad only that I wasted time (and that there's not more books in the verse). Definitely check it out.

Love this book. Love the characters, fucking LOVE the magic, the world, all of it. I started reading this book and I got exactly zero anything else done. I have been waiting for the next book to come forever (end of January what is that crap). It's a stellar book, love the world building and seriously, the magic. The two MCs are amazing, I'm in love with them, I love the history that's between them and that they're adults and work with/past it. Seriously. I want the second book, damn it. This waiting crap is not as much fun when I'm not the author enjoying everyone else's suffering. But enough of my fangirling. Check it out for yourself :3

And I have a couple more, but I'll stow them away for next week in my constant attempt to actually make this a regular thing again.

2 comments:

  1. The Magpie Lord and Claiming, Tails and Other Alien Artifacts were both recommended to me by my sister and then you so I am definitely reading them. In fact The Magpie Lord is next up when I get some free time to read novels.

    Gretel looks good too such a hard fairytale to retell I think ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read The Magpie Lord and was totally caught up in it. Gorgeous book. I have Claimings, and not read it yet, but now it's right up on my list because I trust your recs.
    Can't do the lesbian, but I'm sure it's great for those who do ;)

    ReplyDelete

To Lauren Hough and Other Whiny Pissbabies: How Not to Behave as an Author

I should know how to behave and not behave. Anybody in MM Romance will be happy to tell you I have a long and sordid history of pissing peop...