Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday Recs


The short list:

Lying with Scorpions by Aleksandr Voinov
A Case of Possessions by KJ Charles
The Gentleman's Keeper by Bonnie Dee & Summer Devon
Strain by Amelia C. Gormley

First up, my true love. Aleksandr's Memory of Scorpions series is one of my favorites in the whole world. I loved the first one, pretty much died happy when I learned it was going to be a series. If you want amazing fantasy, read these books. It's got the world building, the characters, the story, the whole damn set. The second is even better than the first, which almost never happens. I can't wait for the third.

Another excellent book two, and a series that is also fantastic for world building and characters. I was sad this book did not switch POVs, but that's a personal sulk, I can see why she stuck to just one POV this go round. Another one I am DYING for the third book, and all of this waiting friggin sucks (but given how many people are yelling at me for the next book in various series, I guess I'm getting what I deserve). If haven't gotten to this series yet, definitely do.


One of my favorite duos, especially when they do historicals :D I was slow to read this one because Samhain's epubs always have such tiny print. But me and iBooks are currently not on speaking terms, so I've been moving everything to my kindle app. Anyway, this was another solid historical from them. I like where they kept the focus, and that the whole story was not bogged down by the usual misunderstandings and such that crop up with this sort of premise. Theeeere should be a story about Ippy someday. If you like historicals, this is a good one to pick up ^__^


This book is definitely not my usual thing. I'm sort of hit/miss on the post-apoc type stories, especially when it's laden with fuck or die, dubcon type stuff. But I really liked Bitter Harvest, and Gormley is cool peeps, so I said why the fuck not. It turned out to be a truly excellent book. The premise was well-executed, the world building excellent, I like the characters (love love the Jugs) and how they handled some very complicated, difficult situations. If you like this sort of thing, or are willing to be adventurous, this book is worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Lauren Hough and Other Whiny Pissbabies: How Not to Behave as an Author

I should know how to behave and not behave. Anybody in MM Romance will be happy to tell you I have a long and sordid history of pissing peop...